Skip to main content

Our First Advocacy Video: Magaso-Falls



A Rainy Start

Early this morning, I was hard at work printing out the manuscript for our Advocacy Video project. I looked out of the window – and I realized that it was actually raining pretty hard. In fact, the cold had been sending shivers down my spine for quite a while now. I was a bit apprehensive because I wasn’t quite sure if the 28 pages that I had written down would be enough for the video – which, by the way, would serve as our final requirement for Purposive Communication.

As an educator, I am required to take up this course, by hook or by crook. Otherwise, I will not be able to teach using the new CHED Curriculum.

Amusing Setbacks

By the way, I should mention that we were also having our extemporaneous speaking activity in the same area. This activity would actually serve as our midterms. My companions (all 11 of them) and I were actually total newbies at extempo – and it was definitely a very harrowing and yet enlightening experience. As such, we felt no small sense of relief that it was finally over and we were more than glad to get started on making the clips for our advocacy video.

We actually forgot to bring props and costumes along. So what we did was improvise. One of my colleagues, Chuvic started picking out yellow flowers from the area – not very environment-friendly, I would say. It’s quite ironic because our advocacy is actually to preserve the environment.

Hazel, another one of my colleagues picked out a primrose (Bahu-Baho) from the grounds and placed it on her ear—which immediately resulted in a new horror movie – “Attack of the Killer Bee.”

Finally, Germa (Germs for short – a bit appropriate… just kidding) another colleague, started throwing pieces of litter everywhere – as part of the script, of course. The irony here is that she picked everything up all by herself as well after the shooting.

Unforgettable Experiences

If you have ever just fallen asleep from listening to the sound of the rain, you’d fall in love with Magaso Falls right away. The sound of the waterfalls is very gentle and not the least bit deafening. Of course, in order to experience the breathtaking view (the beauty of nature, so to speak) of the falls, you would have to literally take your breath away. After all, it’s a 120-step descent to the mother falls (another 120-steps to ascend… basically like an intensive session of Zumba). I was definitely huffing and puffing hard by the time I reached the place.

Over-all, it was a fulfilling, education, and fun-filled experience. More than the beauty of the waterfalls, the experiences that I got to share with many beautiful people from all walks of life is something that a few little setbacks can never destroy.



Comments